TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Jakarta Transportation Agency recorded that as of March 31, more than 70,000 people have left for their hometown or popularly known mudik since the coronavirus emergency status was issued on March 16.
“We have been appealing to the residents to suspend their homecoming trips to prevent the transmission of the virus infection or COVID-19,” said Syafrin to Tempo on Thursday, April 2.
Meanwhile, nearly 90,000 people from other regions were also recorded entering Jakarta throughout March 16-31.
He asserted that the city administration since last week had conducted intense efforts to prevent the people from returning to their hometown in the wake of the pandemic and even recommended the temporary halt of the operation of intercity and interprovincial (AKAP) buses.
“We continuously call them to suspend their trips until the outbreak subsides,” Syafrin said, adding that Jakarta is now the epicenter of the COVID-19 in Indonesia.
Since there is no policy yet on the restriction of mass transports operation, Jakarta administration was set to tighten the health care protocol for people entering and leaving the capital through terminals. “We have applied the set protocols,” he added.
He appealed to the people willing to use public transportation to use face masks to prevent them from being infected with the coronavirus. “Those who are sick should postpone the trip,” he asserted.
According to Syafrin, Jakarta was waiting for the central government’s instruction to limit the public transportation in the capital in an effort to curb the COVID-19 cases.