TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The three Indonesians on board the Diamond Princess cruise ship who have been tested positive for the coronavirus or COVID-19 cannot be evacuated yet. Nevertheless, the Foreign Affairs Ministry said the option is there.
"What I can say now is that we are open to evacuation options," Minister Retno Marsudi said on Tuesday, February 18, when welcoming the evacuation team that picked up Indonesians from Wuhan.
The three Indonesians are crew members of the cruise ship that is docked in Yokohama. They are among the 446 people who contracted the virus. The ship had over 3,000 people on board when it was first discovered that a passenger who tested positive with the virus had been on the ship.
Two of them have left the boat and are now being treated in a hospital in Chiba prefecture. The other one is still on board, waiting to be taken to the hospital.
Minister Retno said she does not want to speculate on when the evacuation would be. She said that everything must be done through coordination with the Japanese government.
"The Indonesian Embassy in Japan has sent people to Chiba to make sure that the two Indonesians are treated well," she said.