TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Presidential Chief of Staff Moeldoko stated that the government would no longer consider the citizenship status of 689 Indonesian nationals who joined ISIS.
“They have been declared stateless,” he said at Presidential Palace Complex, Jakarta, Thursday, February 13.
The retired general underlined that the no-citizenship status had already been declared by those former Indonesians once they burnt their passport.
“They make themselves stateless. The passport disposal is the indicator,” he added.
He asserted that the government would tighten the security monitoring in regions potentially become the entrance gate of those 689 people to return to Indonesia.
“We have anticipated it. Immigration offices and all officers in border areas will raise their vigilance,” Moeldoko said.
President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo earlier emphasized that the government did not plan to repatriate Indonesians who left the country to join ISIS. However, the government would verify and collect their data in detail.
Jokowi explained those people had chosen their own destiny and they were no longer the responsibility of the country. "It’s their own decision, so of course they must have calculated everything."