Ombudsman Demands Chinese Workers Barred from Entering Indonesia

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • Workers clear the way at the construction site where the new hospital is being built to treat patients of a new coronavirus following the outbreak and the city's lockdown, on the outskirts of Wuhan, China January 24, 2020. The virus, believed to have originated late last year in a seafood market in Wuhan that was illegally selling wildlife, has spread to Chinese cities including Beijing and Shanghai, as well as the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Australia, France and Canada. cnsphoto via REUTERS

    Workers clear the way at the construction site where the new hospital is being built to treat patients of a new coronavirus following the outbreak and the city's lockdown, on the outskirts of Wuhan, China January 24, 2020. The virus, believed to have originated late last year in a seafood market in Wuhan that was illegally selling wildlife, has spread to Chinese cities including Beijing and Shanghai, as well as the United States, Thailand, South Korea, Japan, Australia, France and Canada. cnsphoto via REUTERS

    TEMPO.CO, JakartaThe Indonesian Ombudsman has called on the government to bar Chinese workers from entering the country following the coronavirus outbreak. The deadly virus was first reported in Wuhan, China, and has continued to claim lives.

    “In the wake of the coronavirus outbreak, the government should immediately issue a ban on the entry of Chinese workers,” Ombudsman commissioner La Ode Ida said on Monday, January 27, 2019.

    He added that the protection of Indonesian citizens (WNI) should be prioritized over allowing the entry of Chinese workers for investment purposes.

    “The deadly virus has been proven to originate from China, and the Indonesian Government is obliged to protect its citizens from the danger of contamination from the virus that may be carried by Chinese workers or tourists,” he said.

    La Ode also asked that Chinese workers in Indonesia should immediately be recorded and examined, specifically to ensure that they are free from the coronavirus.

    He further explained that workers from China entered Indonesia almost on a daily basis, especially to Southeast Celebes and Central Celebes. According to La Ode, Ombudsman has conducted examinations in a number of regions in 2018 and discovered that the Chinese workers are generally employed in smelters owned by Chinese companies.

    In addition, 70 percent of aircraft passengers entering Southeast Celebes and Central Celebes from Jakarta were recorded to be Chinese workers.

     

    BISNIS.COM