TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Transportation Minister Budi Karya Sumadi has confirmed the country’s aviation authority has not yet suspended all flights from and to China despite the coronavirus outbreak.
Budi said his ministry was still awaiting the official statement of emergency from the World Health Organization (WHO).
”Not all flights are suspended because there is no statement of emergency yet from the WHO. So no flight is suspended,” he said in his office in Central Jakarta after a ministerial meeting on Monday, January 27, 2019.
Budi went on to say the domestic aviation authority only stopped the flights to Wuhan, Wubei province, as cautioned by the international flight notice to airmen (Notam) released last week.
The notice said the Tianhe Wuhan International Airport was inoperational as an alternate airport except for emergency situations.
As the notice takes effect beginning January 23, 2020, at 11:00 UTC or 18:00 Western Indonesia Time (WIB) to February 2, 2020, flights from Indonesia to Wuhan are diverted to other cities in China.
FRANCISCA CHRISTY ROSANA