TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - About 190 trees were cut down in the National Monument's (Monas) southern area due to the revitalization program. The City's Human Settlements and Spatial Planning Department promised to replant up to 10 times of the trees.
"It (the number of the tees) could be more. We'll plant the trees in parking area and gas station," said the chief department Heru Hermawanto in City Hall, Central Jakarta on Tuesday, January 21, 2020.
Heru reasoned that the trees in the southern area should be cut down for a renovation there, adding that they would replant the trees in the area.
Previously, Head of Sub-Division of Monas Administration Endrati Fariani said that the government had replanted the trees previously removed in the revitalization area. However, she was unwilling to give details about the relocation because she has just been serving in her current job on January 13.
A consultant from the House's Commission B asserted that in the revitalization area, only 85 trees were removed for the restoration, while the rest were cut down. "[And] the trees have been replanted," he added.
According to Heru, the southern area of the National Monument will become an open space up to Jalan Merdeka Selatan and has its own entrance, just like the Lapangan Banteng area.
Taufiq Siddiq | Safira Andini (Intern Translator)