TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Chief of Indonesian Armed Forces (TNI) Information Center (Kapuspen), Major General Sisriadi, has stated that the Chinese ships that previously fished illegally in the Northern Natuna Sea, Riau Islands, have exited the Indonesian Exclusive Economic Zone (EEZ). The information was obtained based on the TNI's air force observations collected through air reconnaissance.
“The Chinese vessels that have conducted illegal fishing have exited the EEZ, after our president’s arrival in Natuna,” said Sisriadi, in the Indonesian Military Headquarters, in Cilangkap, Eastern Jakarta, on Thursday, 9th of January 2020.
President Jokowi’s arrival in Natuna, according to Sisriadi, has emphasized the message from the Indonesian Government to Beijing, China. “I believe Beijing read it (the message) intelligently, and the fishermen boats that have been backed by the coastguard, which in this case would be the Chinese Government, have left the EEZ,” he said.
Previously, President Joko Widodo has instructed for the policing of Natuna Waters to continue. The Indonesian Military will continue routine operations. “In terms of the intensity, we will adjust it depending on the conditions on-site,” said the former Chief of TNI Information Center.
Once the Natuna Waters have been well secured, the Indonesian Military will then refocus their attention back to the policing of all Indonesian waters. “Yesterday, although, we focused our intensity in the Northern Natuna Sea, routine operations are conducted regularly throughout Indonesia. So, not only in Natuna,” said Sisriadi.
ANTARA | DIO SUHENDA