TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Rumors of an impending megathrust striking Java Island, mainly Jakarta, is strongly denied by experts in the field of earthquakes from the Indonesian Institute of Sciences (LIPI) and the Assessment and Application of Technology Agency (BPPT).
According to Adrin Tohari from LIPI’s geo-technology research center, this specific chain message spreading false information has been around since last year’s Lombok earthquake.
“In the study of tectonic plates, Lombok’s earthquake epicenter last year was not from the South Java megathrust segment,” said Adrin on Tuesday, December 7.
In an attempt to help subdue the spread of earthquake-related hoaxes, Adrin urged people to seek confirmation to the Meteorology Climatology and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) as the government’s official source for earthquake-related info.
Meanwhile, the BPPT expert on tsunami and earthquake, Widjo Kongko, says the viral message is utterly baseless which attempts to tie connections between earthquakes happening overseas to Indonesia’s geological aspects.
“Indonesia is an earthquake zone that already has its zones mapped, with each having its own earthquake potential,” said Widjo in a separate location.
Previously reported, BMKG deputy of geophysics Muhamad Sadly said that the source of Lombok’s earthquake is a stark contrast to those of a megathrust. The Lombok quake is due to the Flores fault while a megathrust is triggered by the plate colliding in subduction zones.
“Potential strong earthquakes in the Java megathrust zone is based on a study that no one knows when it will take place,” Sadly asserts.
MOH KHORY ALFARIZI