Nickel Ban; Minister Luhut Ready to Face European Union's Lawsuit

Translator:

Editor:

Petir Garda Bhwana

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Coordinating Minister of Maritime Affairs and Investment Luhut Binsar Pandjaitan confidently conceded the European Union’s plan to file a lawsuit against Indonesia to the World Trade Organization (WTO) after Indonesia decided to stop exporting nickel ore starting from January 1, 2020. 

    “That’s okay. Go ahead,” said Luhut in a meeting at the Transportation Ministry’s headquarters in Kemayoran, Central Jakarta, today.

    The EU plans to consult the issue with Indonesia as an initial step before filing the lawsuit. The Indonesian government has voiced cooperation on both EU’s plans. 

    “We have prepared a dedicated team,” said Luhut. 

    Previously, the notice of an impending lawsuit was delivered by European Union’s Ambassador to the Indonesian Ambassador in Geneva, Swiss, on November 22, due to Indonesia’s policies that have allegedly violated the General Agreement of Tariffs and Trade (GATT) prior to the WTO. 

    The policies in question are the curbing of mineral product exports, especially nickel, iron ore, and chromium. All are raw materials used by the EU’s stainless steel industry. 

    FAJAR PEBRIANTO