Govt Wins Lawsuit against Corporates Responsible for Forest Fires

Translator:

Editor:

Petir Garda Bhwana

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Environment and Forestry Ministry (KLHK) said that the compensation that the government is set to receive from a number of corporates in the forest fire public lawsuit reaches Rp315 trillion. 

    “That number is from nine 'inkracht' lawsuits that were granted by the Supreme Court (MA) a while back,” said KLHK Director General of Law Enforcement (Gakkum) Rasio Ridho Sani in Jakarta on Sunday, November 17.

    In total, there are 17 lawsuits related to the massive forest fires Indonesia witnessed this year. Last month, the ministry deemed eight corporate suspects and one individual responsible for the widespread forest fires.

    “We are now pushing for the execution to be done quickly so the defendants could immediately pay up and restore [the damaged environment],” said Rasio Ridho.

    KLHK’s Director General of Law Enforcement had also permanently sealed the operations of 84 corporations and is preparing a number of administrative sanctions for the corporates involved.

    “We will use administrative sanctions if the fires caused by them are not vast. Those responsible for massive forest fires will be subject to administrative sanctions and will face civil actions and criminal lawsuits,” said Rasio Ridho. 

    ANTARA