TEMPO.CO, Yogyakarta - The National Social Security Board (DJSN) expressed optimism that the deficit due to soaring hospital claims incurred by the Health Care and Social Security Agency or BPJS Kesehatan could be wiped out within two years following the premium hike.
“Mathematically calculated, if the projection and the number of participants are in accordance with the plan, there will be no more deficit in two years after the premium is increased,” said the DJSN member Angger P. Yuwono via a phone call with Tempo, Wednesday, October 30.
However, Angger admitted that the deficit elimination was still a prediction, yet he believed that it had been calculated thoroughly based on a variety of factors.
“We had created a simulation on the amount of the premium. The simulation was based on BPJS data from the past five years and the projection of medical treatment claims in the next two years,” said Angger.
According to Angger, the increase in the insurance fee ratified by President Joko “Jokowi” Widodo was similar to suggestions submitted by DJSN to Finance Ministry.
Previously reported, President Jokowi had inked the Presidential Regulation (Perpres) No. 75/2019 on the amendment of Perpres No. 82/2018 on health insurance. This policy became the basis to increase the premium of BPJS Kesehatan.
The insurance fee for PBI (the Contribution Assistance Recipients) participants raised to Rp42,000 from initially 23,000 per month. While the premium for Class III participants at Rp42,000 from Rp25,000; Class II at Rp110,000 from Rp51,000; and Class I at Rp160,000 from Rp80,000. The hike would take effect per January 1, 2020.