Tuesday, 19 November 2019

Imam Nahrawi Apologizes for Chaos in Indonesia Vs Malaysia Match

Translator:

Editor:

Laila Afifa

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, JakartaYouth and Sports Minister Imam Nahrawi has met his Malaysian counterpart Syed Saddiq to issue his apology for the incident during the football match of the 2020 FIFA World Cup Qualifiers between Indonesia and Malaysia in GBK stadium, Jakarta, Thursday, September 5.

    “I’d like to directly issue an apology on behalf of Indonesian people and government for the unpleasant incident carried out by some supporters,” said Imam in a press conference in Jakarta, Friday, September 6.

    Imam hoped the meeting will reunite the friendship of Indonesian and Malaysian supporters.

    He also said that the Indonesian government will immediately send an official apology to Malaysia before the National Team of Merah-Putih joins a match in the neighboring country next November.

    Additionally, Imam Nahrawi and the Football Association of Indonesia (PSSI) will take stern actions against the instigators.

    The Malaysian Minister of Youth and Sports Syed Saddiq positively responded to Imam’s good intention. However, he demanded Indonesian police crackdown those supporters who caused the chaos.

    “Thank you for the firm stance, Pak Imam assures that justice will be upheld. He also has coordinated with the police to assure stern actions to be taken,” Saddiq said.

    The young minister affirmed that Malaysia and Indonesia will stay together in dealing with the incident.

    The session was attended by Ministry Secretary Gatot S. Dewa Broto and PSSI secretary-general Ratu Tisha Destria.

    As previously reported, some Indonesian supporters angered after being defeated 2-3. They threw plastic bottles and gas bombs at Malaysian fans. The game even suspended for ten minutes in the second half.

    ANTARA