TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Communication and Informatics Ministry (Kominfo) is set to fulfill the summons of the Indonesian Ombudsman over their internet blackout policy applied in Papua and West Papua.
Kominfo public relations officer Ferdinandus told Tempo on Wednesday, August 28, that his ministry will be represented by its directorate-general.
Papua is currently under an internet block following the riot that broke out over several Papua areas on August 18. The block is said to have been enforced because of the rampant spread of hoaxes which could worsen the already tense situation.
“The internet service block will continue until the situation in Papua completely returns to normal,” said Ferdinandus in a written statement on Friday last week.
The condition across areas in Papua and West Papua are starting to gradually improve, but maintains is unable to be used as a justification to revoke the internet ban.
HALIDA BUNGA FISANDRA | EGI ADYATAMA