TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - National Police Chief General Tito Karnavian asserted that the internet access restriction in Papua aimed at curbing and lowering hoax information on social media platforms. Tito said some people intentionally despise peace and the conducive situation in the province.
“This is the government’s vital measure to reduce false news,” said Tito to the news agency Antara after a dialogue with Papuan leaders in Biak, Tuesday, August 27.
He mentioned a hoax about a Papuan student who was reportedly killed during a racist act in Surabaya. That was deliberately spread by certain people on social networking sites and thus triggered a series of mass demonstrations across the country’s eastern province.
“The public received the information without checking the fact first,” Tito said.
Therefore, he underlined that the government blocked internet access to maintain national security. He claimed the blocking policy could be revoked after the situation considered to be completely safe.
“Papuans must preserve the stability of public order and security to assure the conducive services of government development and community,” said the former Papua Police Chief.
Since Friday last week, Communication and Informatics Ministry applied a temporary internet block in Papua and West Papua due to rampant distribution and transmission of hoax, false news, provocative and racist contents in the regions.
As of Tuesday, 17:25 local times, internet access in Biak and its vicinity areas have returned to normal despite slow data speed when sending pictures or video.