TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) representative, Thomas Vargas announced that the organization is currently in talks with the government and organizations to assure the future of the asylum seekers in Kalideres, West Jakarta.
Their main objective is to prevent the people from returning to the streets and public sidewalks after the closure of the Kalideres temporary facility on August 31.
“We have a plan together with partners and the government to provide urgent needs for the refugees so that they no longer need to live outside [on sidewalks anymore],” said Thomas at his office in Kebon Sirih, Central Jakarta on Monday.
However, Thomas did not reveal any details of their supposed joint effort and only hinted that the upcoming plan will enable the refugees to provide for themselves for an extended period of time.
“This is the best we can do,” he said.
The Jakarta Provincial Administration previously announced that it would empty the former military command (Kodim) Kalideres facility on August 31st, while the healthcare services and water supply for the facility has been stopped since Wednesday, August 21.
Head of the Directorate General of National Unity and Politics of the Ministry of Home Affairs, Taufan Bakri explained that the decision to stop providing services had to be taken due to the absence of budget from the Jakarta administration.
The future of the asylum seekers will completely be the responsibility of the UNHCR and IOM after August 31.
M JULNIS FIRMANSYAH