Gov't Sends Team to NTT over Rejection on Komodo Park Closure

Translator:

Editor:

Laila Afifa

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Figures of Komodo Island customary people and the youth representatives visited Environment and Forestry Ministry office today, August 3, to deliver their objection to the relocation and closure of Komodo National Park.

    "We also discussed the people's rejection on the closure [of the national park] planned by NTT (East Nusa Tenggara) Governor," said a member of Community Forum of West Manggarai Tourism Defender (Formapp Mabar), Rafael Todowela, to Tempo.

    Eight representatives of Komodo Island society met and discussed with the director-general of natural resource and ecosystem conservation Wiratno. "It's a good input because the people are part of the National Park management," he told Tempo on Saturday, August 3.

    Previously, NTT tourism department head Wayan Darmawa asserted the closure of Komodo Island, that is part of the National Park area, was set to be executed in early 2020. President Joko Widodo or Jokowi had visited the island and said that he would apply tourists restriction and close the location for conservational purpose.

    Based on the result of the meeting, Rafael went on, the ministry viewed that NTT Governor had no rights to close the national park since it was in the hands of the Evironment Ministry. Therefore, the planned closure and people's relocation from Komodo Island were rejected by conservation directorate-general.

    To follow up the community report, the ministry will send a team on August 13-16, to Labuan Bajo and Komodo Island to conduct a complete investigation. The result of the investigation will be used as the recommendation and policy on the Komodo national park management.

    HALIDA BUNGA FISANDRA