TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Transportation Ministry assured that the Soekarno-Hatta Airport operated normally after a magnitude 7.4 earthquake rocked Banten on Friday, August 2 at 19:03 local time. The ministry's director-general of air transportation Polana Banguningsih Pramesti said her side had conducted a thorough check.
"Everything is normal and in a safe condition. All of the facility also operate normally," she said in a statement received on Saturday, August 3.
Previously, the Transportation Ministry stated that the quake did not entirely affect the international airport's operational. No damage was found at the air and land facilities, as well as at the flight navigation; the runway was also safe.
However, Polana called on all of the stakeholders to be prepared and remain alert in anticipating disaster.
"Safety, security, and service first. And coordination is important to resolve and anticipate things that might hamper flights," she remarked.
The Meteorology, Climatology, and Geophysics Agency (BMKG) previously issued a tsunami early warning with a potential height of 0.5 to 3.0 meters in Banten and Lampung following the earthquake. The early warning of the potential tsunami was revoked at 21:41.
FRANCISCA CHRISTY ROSANA | ANWAR SISWADI