TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - North Maluku Disaster Mitigation Agency (BPBD) recorded six people died and 3,104 were evacuated after a powerful earthquake with a magnitude 7.2 struck South Halmahera on Sunday, July 14.
The regional agency head Ridwan Samad said the six failed to flee and were buried under a fallen building. They are Segaf Gafur (49), Siang Kale (63), Saima Mustafa (90), Aina (58), Aisyah (50), and Aswar Mukmat (21).
“All death victims had been laid to rest. At present, the integrated team has been dispatched to the disaster site to record the total of damaged buildings and injured victims,” Ridwan told Tempo, Tuesday, July 16.
He said there are ten districts that are mostly affected by the tremor as of today, 18:00 local time. Out of which, 3,107 people are still staying in 15 evacuation posts.
The earthquake also destroyed 13 public facilities and 971 houses; 300 units in Ranga-Ranga Village, Gane Luar (380 units), Sawat (6 units), Gaimu (10 units), Kuwo (30 units), Tanjung Jere (2 units), Lemo-Lemo (131 units), Liaro (22 units), and Tomara (90 units).
“The number is subjected to increase because several villages have not been recorded yet,” Ridwan added.
Previously, South Halmahera Regent Baharain Kasuba announced the alert emergency status for the region for seven days in a bid to quicken the movement of disaster emergency teams, logistics and equipment distribution to refugee sites.
“The status take effect in ten districts, namely Bacan, South Bacan, East Bacan, Southeast Bacan, Middle east Bacan, West Gane, Northwest Gane, Southwest Gane, East Gane, and Southeast Gane. It starts from July 15 to 22,” Baharain explained.