TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Communication and Informatics Minister Rudiantara stated that the government will not block public access to social media during the presidential election dispute trial scheduled at the Constitutional Court on Friday, June 14, 2019.
"The government will not limit its access if it is deemed insignificant in swaying [public opinion]. So there will be no reason [to do so]," said Rudiantara on Wednesday, June 12, 2019.
Rudiantara explained that previously, his ministry recorded around 600 to 700 false news contents created every day from May 21 to May 23, 2019. Most of the false news were related to the May 22 riot and the vote recapitulation process conducted by the General Elections Commission (KPU). Therefore, it is considered necessary to apply restrictions to several social media platforms.
Following the restriction, Rudiantara claimed that the number of false news has reduced to 300 contents every days since May 24, and further reduced to around 100 contents every day.
He suggested that no further restriction is needed if the number of negative contents stays within the 100 contents-per-day during the Constitutional Court trial.
"I personally hoped no [blocking is necessary]. The public also needs to take responsibility in safeguarding social media and not use it as a provocation tool," said Minister Rudiantara.