KontraS: Police Should Prioritize Revealing May 22 Riot Victims
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Commission for Missing Person and Victims of Violence (KontraS) reviewed the National Police’s release regarding Jakarta riot on May 21-22 concluded bias information and increased polarization. It opined police did not deliver many important issues.
The commission also lamented the police’s statement that nine people who were killed at that time were rioters without explaining their roles and involvement, shooters, cause of death, and results of crime scene reconstruction.
“Without those explanations, such a conclusion can trigger public assumption related to the perpetrator,” said the commission researcher Rivanlee Anandar on Wednesday, June 12.
KontraS cited the government and law enforcers should take the fall of victims as a top priority to further investigate related actors and responsible persons. This was related to the police’s statement that no officer was armed with live ammunition while standing guard.
“Eight people were shot dead, three of them are minors aged 16,17, and 15. Police did not explain projectiles found in victims’ bodies and crime scene as well as the location of the shot direction,” said Rivanlee.
Moreover, the law enforcement process seemed one-sided. The police should have shown its independence and accountability to avoid the emergence of bias information. “Police should openly admit law and human rights violations committed by its personnel or any responsible person. There should be no legal immunity,” he underlined.
Previously, National Police public relations division head and Indonesian Military (TNI) Information Center chief established a press conference regarding the case development of May 22 riot. The conference took place in the Coordinating Ministry for Politics, Legal, and Security office on June 11, 2019.
HALIDA BUNGA FISANDRA