TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Police officially announced that one of the six victims of the multiple riots on May 21 and May 22 was killed by lethal ammunition.
"I quote the statement from Police Chief General Tito Karnavian, there are six deaths. One of which was struck by live ammunition," said Indonesian National Police spokesman Brig. Gen. Dedi Prasetyo on Thursday, May 23, 2019.
Dedi asserted that police is yet to confirm the owner of the firearm that used live ammo. The police are currently still conducting an autopsy to confirm the definitive cause of deaths of the victims.
Police Chief Tito Karnavian announced that he does not want the police to be subject of public accusations for the death from live ammunition. He insisted that the police had previously discovered people smuggling firearms believed to be used in the May 22 protest and frame Indonesian authorities.
"It must be cleared. Don't let it be an assumption. We discovered firearms. But there are attempts to provoke the public to blame Indonesian authorities," said the Police Chief.
The victims were from the May 22 riots that took place at the Mobile Brigade police (Brimob) housing complex in Petamburan, where 200 people raided and thrashed the place with stones, Molotov cocktails, fireworks, and bottles.
This crowd destroyed at least 11 vehicles in the area's vicinity and burned 14 other vehicles. This event injured hundreds of people that were treated at the nearby hospital.