Jokowi Will Not Tolerate Security Disruptions in Indonesia
TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - President Joko "Jokowi" Widodo will not tolerate anyone disrupting security, the democratic process and the unity of Indonesia, he said on Wednesday, May 22, following rioting in Jakarta, after official election results were announced.
"We will not give any space for rioters who try to damage our country, the state of unity of the Republic of Indonesia," the president said in a press conference at the State Palace today, May 22.
He said that the military and police will take firm action in accordance with the law, adding that the current situation is under control and called on the people not to worry.
"Let us all reunite as Indonesia is our home," Jokowi remarked.
The mass held a rally on Tuesday, May 21, protesting the outcome of last month's presidential election in the area near the Election Supervisory Board (Bawaslu), Central Jakarta. At around 21:00 after tarawih prayers, the mass had dispersed but at around 23.00, a group of people came from Wahid Hasyim and Sabang streets and broke the barbed wire set in front of Bawaslu office.
The police tried to turn away the mass to Tanah Abang area and fired tear gas, while the mass retaliated by lighting firecrackers. An unknown mob also burned the cars parked in front of the Mobile Police Brigade (Bawaslu) dormitory complex in Petamburan, Central Jakarta.
Jakarta Governor Anies Baswedan visited a number of locations this morning. He said that six people have died and 200 sustained injuries due to the clash between the mob and the police last night and this morning.