Prabowo Camp Has No Plan to Challenge Election Result to Court

Translator:

Editor:

Laila Afifa

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • President candidate Prabowo Subianto was accompanied by Gerinda Party chairman Fadli Zon during an event by Prabowo camp volunteer in Jakarta, Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019. TEMPO/Budiarti Utami Putri.

    President candidate Prabowo Subianto was accompanied by Gerinda Party chairman Fadli Zon during an event by Prabowo camp volunteer in Jakarta, Saturday, Feb. 2, 2019. TEMPO/Budiarti Utami Putri.

    TEMPO.CO, JakartaThe Prabowo - Sandiaga campaign team (BPN) member of the advisory board, Fadli Zon, said that his party would not challenge the result of the 2019 presidential election to the Constitutional Court (MK). Fadli opined that the court could not resolve electoral problems.

    “It’s highly possible that BPN will not file a report to MK because we have taken the path back in 2014. And we see that MK is useless in handling issues of the presidential election. The court is meaningless,” said Fadli in the Parliament Complex, Jakarta, Wednesday, May 15.

    Fadli explained that in the 2014 presidential election, Prabowo Subianto and his running mate Hatta Rajasa filed a lawsuit to the MK. However, the process was fruitless and he deemed it a waste of time.

    “Marathon trials were held at that time but no evidence was opened. It had even been legalized, stamped,” said Gerindra party deputy head, accusing MK of practicing politics.

    In 2014, the Prabowo - Hatta campaign team challenged the election result to the Constitutional Court. They considered the vote recapitulation result was lawfully invalid because the votes for the rival Jokowi - Jusuf Kalla were obtained from actions against the law or infested with the Election Commission‘s (KPU) abuse of authority. However, MK dismissed the lawsuit.

    BPN campaigner Raden Muhammad Syafii said the court did not examine 19 trucks of evidence presented by the campaign team, adding that his side still presently possessed those evidence of electoral fraud.

    “We believe MK will not conduct an investigation as it previously did in the past election. MK cannot [examine] 19 trucks loaded with evidence, what if it’s more. So MK successfully made us have no trust in them that they will establish an objective trial,” said Syafii in the Parliament Complex, Senayan, Jakarta, Wednesday, May 15.

    Earlier, presidential candidate number 02 Prabowo Subianto stressed that he will reject the election result that he deemed deceptive during an event of exposing facts on electoral frauds in the 2019 presidential election, Tuesday, May 14, in Grand Sahid Hotel, Jakarta.

    BUDIARTI UTAMI PUTRI