VP Jusuf Kalla Assesses Recent Blatant Slander Aimed at Jokowi

Translator:

Editor:

Laila Afifa

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • President Joko Widodo and Vice President Jusuf Kalla. TEMPO/Vindry Florentin

    President Joko Widodo and Vice President Jusuf Kalla. TEMPO/Vindry Florentin

    TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Vice President Jusuf Kalla comments on the rumors of Jokowi possibly banning the existence of the Islamic Azan (Prayer calling) if elected for the second time. Kalla assures that the slander has no basis and is a blatant hoax.

    Especially considering Jokowi is running with Ma’ruf Amin who is the non-active Indonesian Ulema Council (MUI), Chairman. “How can the MUI chairman ban Azan, where’s the logic behind that,” said Jusuf Kalla at his office today, Feb. 26.

    Jusuf Kalla strongly urged people to stop making up and spreading disinformation and urged for wiser use of social media. Regarding the victims, the VP called for them to immediately issue a clarification.

    “Preventing hoaxes is by answering it. Providing clarification,” said VP Jusuf Kalla.

    Previously, a video making rounds in social media saw two women persuading people to not vote for Jokowi in the upcoming presidential election. They implied that Azan will no longer be heard and same-sex marriage will be legalized if Jokowi is elected as president for the second time.

    EGI ADYATAMA