1.2 Tons of Waste Cleaned Up from Ciliwung River

Translator:

Editor:

Petir Garda Bhwana

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TEMPO.CO, Depok - To commemorate the National Waste Awareness Day, a community named Komunitas Ciliwung Depok (KCD) succeeded to clean up 1.2 tons of waste under the bridge of Grand Depok City. As many as 150 volunteers joined the activity dubbed Bebenah Ciliwung or Clean-up Ciliwung held on Sunday, February 24.

    “A total of 1.2 tons of waste in Ciliwung River have been cleared successfully,” said KCD head Taufik D. Golek to Tempo Monday.

    Other than cleaning up the river, the community also treated plants in the river and held the eco-brick activity, which is packing plastic waste to a plastic bottle, “to create a to create a reusable thing.”

    He explained that volunteers collected the waste from the upstream in a waste bag to be dissolved and evacuated to the bridge. “The waste was then loaded to the waste truck owned by Depok Environment and Sanitation Agency,” he added.

    Arung Adhan, head of Bebenah Ciliwung committee, suggested the Depok administration provide waste treatment tools. Based on his experience in cleaning up waste in several points in Ciliwung River, the waste was hard to be sorted as it had been torn and blended.

    Adhan said that the river waste, mostly consisted of diapers, plastic bag, ropes, styrofoam, up to rubbers, should not be disposed of to the final landfill (TPA).

    The Environment and Forestry Ministry official Sinta Saptarinda said that the ministry set a target to manage 100 percent of waste by 2025. “That means waste management as well as waste reduction,” she noted on Sunday.

    According to her, 70 percent of waste could be fully managed in the landfill, while the rest 30 percent of waste should have been reduced. “The public plays an important role in decreasing waste,” she concluded.

    IRSYAN HASYIM