TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - To mark the National Press Day, the European Union (EU) Ambassador to Indonesia, H.E Vincent Guerend, presented awards today to five remarkable Indonesian journalists whose journalistic writings have contributed to raising awareness on universality of human rights and social inclusiveness, namely non-discrimination, gender equality, tolerance, and diversity.
The five journalists are the winners of the "EU Award for Journalists (#eu4wartawan)" launched in August at the Asian Games, Asian Para Games, and Festival Bebas Batas (free of boundaries festival).
The winners include two Tempo journalists, Diko Oktara Achmad Yani from Koran Tempo and Suci Sekarwati from Tempo.co.
The five winning articles chronicled captivating stories and displayed excellent journalistic skills. The winners will enjoy a week-long tour to the EU headquarters in Brussels, Belgium, in April 2019.
The complete list of winners in alphabetical order is as follows:
- Denty Piawai Nastitie from Kompas.id with the article “Asian Para Games 2018, Perjuangan Atlet untuk Kesetaraan” (Asian Para Games 2018, Athletes' Fight for Equality)
- Diko Oktara Achmad Yani from Koran Tempo with “Para Bintang yang Terus Berjuang” (The Stars Who Keep on Striving)
- Erik Purnama Putra from Republika Daily with “Berimajinasi Melihat Karya Lukis Difabel” (To Imagine by Looking at Paintings Made by People with Disabilities)
- Suci Sekarwati from Tempo.co with “Kisah Perempuan Afganistan Perjuangkan Hak Kaum Difabel” (A Story of an Afghan Woman Who Fights for the Rights of People with Disabilities)
- Yus Mei Sawitri from Bola.com with “Asian Paragames 2018, Awal Manis Sebuah Perjuangan Panjang” (Asian Paragames 2018, a Sweet Start for a Long Fight)