TEMPO.CO, Makassar - The number of victims of the flood and landslides in 10 regencies/cities of South Sulawesi continues to grow. Until Thursday morning, January 24, the disaster had taken the lives of 26 people.
"The evacuation team from the TNI-Polri, Basarnas, and Tagana are still looking for victims," Head of the South Sulawesi Regional Disaster Management Agency (BPBD), Syamsibar, told Tempo.
So far, 3,914 families or 5,825 people are affected by the floods, twenty-four are still missing, and 24 have fallen ill. More than 2,000 houses are inundated, five are buried underground following the landslide.
A number of government facilities are also damaged while nine bridges collapsed.
The latest update about the situation was revealed by Teuku Iskandar, the Head of the Pompengan Jeneberang River's Great Hall. Teuku said that the water level status of the Bili-bili reservoir Gowa Regency has returned to below normal.
Didit Hariyadi (Contributor)