TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The Communication and Informatics Minister Rudiantara and WhatsApp Vice President Public Policy and Communications Victoria Grand today, January 22, talked on the hoax spreading that frequently occur via the messaging app.
“The meeting of Communication Minister and Victoria Grand is aimed at discussing a real strategy to cut down the spreading of hoax news that quickly becomes viral on instant messaging application Whatsapp,” said the ministry spokesman Ferdinandus Setu in a written statement, Tuesday, January 22.
Ferdinandus said that Kominfo agreed to limit the number of forwarding message on Whatsapp in an attempt to curb the spreading of misinformation. He said that the plan had been reviewed since the third quartal of 2018.
“The test of its beta feature has been done since the past two months,” he added.
The newly-installed feature that limits users to forward a message through Whatsapp will be effective starting January 22, 2019, at 12:00 Western Indonesia Time (WIB). However, the Whatsapp change is valid for Android OS users, while the change for IOS users is still under development.