Wednesday, 16 January 2019

Gojek Continues Discussion with Philippines

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • President Joko Widodo (Jokowi), Communication Minister Rudiantara, Go-Jek CEO Nadiem Makarim, and Go-Viet representatives during the launching of Go-Viet at Melia Hotel in Hanoi, Vietnam, Wednesday, September 12, 2018. (Presidential Press Doc.)

    President Joko Widodo (Jokowi), Communication Minister Rudiantara, Go-Jek CEO Nadiem Makarim, and Go-Viet representatives during the launching of Go-Viet at Melia Hotel in Hanoi, Vietnam, Wednesday, September 12, 2018. (Presidential Press Doc.)

    TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The rejection of the Philippines on ride-hailing app company Gojek entering the country is not the end of its business expansion effort to the Southeast Asian market. Head of Gojek's Government Relation and Public Policy Shinto Nugroho said that the discussion with the Philippine government is still ongoing.

    “The discussion keeps going. This is good; meaning that the Philippine government supports the presence of Gojek,” said Shinto after the meeting of online ojek (motorcycle taxi) drivers with President Jokowi in JlExpo Kemayoran, Jakarta on Saturday, January 12. 

    Gojek was rejected for the administrative reason, Shinto explained, adding that Gojek will always obey and respect the rule. 

    The Philippines' Land Transportation Franchising and Regulatory Board (LTFRB) rejected the submission of Gojek subsidiaries to be the new ride-hailing service in the country because of foreign ownership issue.

    The constitution of the Philippines limits the foreign ownership up to 40 percent for certain industry. Last year, Gojek started its operation in Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi, Vietnam, with Go-Viet as the application's name, they also expanded to Singapore.

    ANTARA