Post Papua Killings; TNI to Open Isolated Access

Translator:

Editor:

Ninis Chairunnisa

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • TNI personnel in Wamena is getting ready to go to Nduga where the attack against Istaka Karya workers took place. ANTARA/Iwan Adisaputra

    TNI personnel in Wamena is getting ready to go to Nduga where the attack against Istaka Karya workers took place. ANTARA/Iwan Adisaputra

    TEMPO.CO, Wamena - Indonesian Armed Forces (TNI) planned to take over the development project of Trans Papua in Yal and Yigi District, Nduga, following the shooting incident by armed groups against workers of PT Istaka Karya. 

    Military Resort Commander 172/PWY Infantry Col. Jonathan Binsar Parluhutan said that discussions to carry out the plan is still afoot with TNI headquarter. According to him, the order to continue the road and bridge construction projects, that was stopped due to the shooting, had been previously issued. 

    TNI’s combat engineers battalion will open the isolated access in Papua. “Perhaps, the personnel will enter the area in one to two months ahead, and the equipment will likely be delivered to the area next week. At least, in the next three months we'll have started the work,” said Jonathan Thursday, December 13. 

    The TNI also planned to synergize with the road agency so that infrastructure project in Papua as in line with the President’s instruction would be continued. “Whatever happens, we have to finish the infrastructure development because it is what we can do to develop remote areas in Papua,” Jonathan underlined. 

    The commander could yet detail the number of personnel deployed to the area but it is estimated to be more than 500 personnel. 

    Head of National Road Agency XVIII of Jayapura Osman Marbun earlier said that TNI would continue the road construction of Trans Papua, yet the plan is still being prepared. Currently, Marbun added, a total of 14 bridges project for the four-year budget in the province has 72 percent completed.