English Version
ENGLISH
| Friday, 19 October 2018 |
Indonesia Version
INDONESIA
Facebook
Twitter


Malaysia`s Najib Sues Top Officials Involved in 1MDB Scandal
Former Malaysian Prime Minister Najib Razak, center, speaks to reporters as he leaves the courthouse in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, Wednesday, July 4, 2018. Malaysia's new attorney general, Tommy Thomas, who is heading the prosecution, said the 1MBD case has attracted global attention and "brought shame to the country." Najib's lawyer Muhammad Shafee Abdullah protested the comment calling it "nonsense" and "coffeeshop talk." AP Photo/YC Hiam
Friday, 06 July, 2018 | 16:40 WIB
Malaysia`s Najib Sues Top Officials Involved in 1MDB Scandal

TEMPO.CO, Kuala Lumpur - Embattled former Malaysian prime minister Najib Razak has filed lawsuits against top investigators probing a multi-billion dollar scandal at state fund 1MDB, as he looks to clamp down on public criticism over his alleged role in the case.

Najib, who lost power in a shock election defeat in May, was arrested and charged in connection with suspicious transactions at SRC International, a former unit of the fund. Najib, who has consistently denied any wrongdoing regarding 1MDB and SRC, on Wednesday pleaded not guilty.

In a legal counterattack, Najib is suing three top officials involved in the investigation into the fund, 1Malaysia Development Berhad (1MDB).

In three civil filings made last week but only made available to Reuters on Wednesday, Najib's lawyers alleged that anti-graft chief Mohd Shukri Abdull, police commercial crimes head Amar Singh and Attorney General Tommy Thomas were prejudiced against him over the course of their investigations.

Badrul Abdullah, who leads one of two Malaysian legal firms representing Najib, said the applications were based on past statements made by the three individuals.

"We are seeking a court decision on whether there is an element of conflict of interest among the individuals handling the case," Badrul told Reuters.

Badrul said his client is seeking costs and any further order and relief deemed fit by the court.

Court records show the three applications were filed on June 30, and name Najib, who held power for about 10 years, as the applicant.

Lawyers for Najib and the respondents are scheduled to meet with two judges for separate pre-trial hearings on July 16.

In May, Shukri said a 2015 investigation into 1MDB was suppressed, while Singh has led police seizures of nearly $275 million worth of luxury goods from premises linked to Najib's family.

Thomas is the lead prosecutor who on Wednesday charged Najib with three counts of criminal breach of trust and one for abuse of power, related to 42 million ringgit ($10.39 million) allegedly transferred into his account from SRC.

Najib and his family have come under intense public scrutiny over the past two months since he lost the election to his former mentor-turned-foe, Mahathir Mohamad, who reopened domestic probes into 1MDB as one of his first acts as prime minister.

Najib and his wife, Rosmah Mansor, have since been barred from leaving the country. The Malaysian authorities have questioned the couple and Najib's stepson and frozen hundreds of bank accounts suspected to have received money from the state fund.

REUTERS

 



via Facebookvia TEMPO ID

Comments


Disclaimer: The views expressed in the comments sections are personal responses that do not represent the editorial policy of tempo.co. Our editorial staff reserves the right to moderate or take down comments that contain harassment, intimidation and discrimination against ethnicity, religion, race, and inter-group relations.