Monday, 20 May 2013 | 05:27
About a thousand Freeport Indonesia workers were still blockading the road to the
underground mine that collapsed last Tuesday.
Monday, 20 May 2013 | 04:24
President Park Geun-Hye left earlier than scheduled when a march dedicated to
the Gwangju Massacre victims was sung in the commemoration ceremony.
Wednesday, 08 August, 2012 | 18:01 WIB
Newmont’s Divestment in line with Court Decision, says Justice Minister
TEMPO Interactive, Jakarta:Justice and Human Rights Minister Amir Syamsuddin says that as far as the law is concerned, the divestment process of the remaining shares of PT Newmont Nusa Tenggara have to be carried out in accordance with the Constitutional Court decision.
"In other words, it must be approved by the House of Representatives (DPR)," Amir said outisde a cabinet meeting on Tuesday.
Amir said the government must respect the final and binding ruling by the Constitutional Court and that the decision did not mean the government had lost.
The DPR does not actually prohibit the purchase of the remaining 7 percent divestment stake of PT Newmont Nusa Tenggara, he said.
"The problem is funding the purchase using the State Budget, which requires permission from the Finance Commission first. We’ll just follow it," he said.
Last week the Constitutional Court decided the purchase by the government had to be approved by DPR first.
Although purchased by the Government Investment Center, the budget must still be included the state budget. Without the DPR’s approval, the government cannot pay Newmont.
Yesterday, Finance Minister Agus Martowardojo had “secured” the Newmont divestment process by signing a renewal of the sales-purchase agreement with Newmont to 25 October. GUSTIDHA BUDIARTIE