Tuesday, 31 July, 2012 | 14:12 WIB
Café Raid Suspect a Former Hardline Offender
TEMPO Interactive, Jakarta:South Jakarta Police Chief Senior Commissioner Imam Sugianto says that Habib Bahar, 33, suspected of raiding Cafe De Most in Bintaro, has previously arrested by South Jakarta Police in the past.
"Bahar was involved in the attack on the Ahmadiyah congregation in Kebayoran Lama in 2010," said Imam on Sunday.
According to him, Bahar started planning the raid on Cafe De Most on Jalan Veteran, Bintaro, South Jakarta, two weeks ago.
Bahar held a meeting with his congregation at his residence in Pondok Betung, Bintaro, South Jakarta. Based on information from a suspect, Bahar was angry that the café was continuing to serve alcohol during Ramadan.
"They took the initiative for the raid," said Imam. However, after being interrogated the accused admitted that they had not coordinated with police.
Previously, the Prophet Defender Council also raided the cafe.They carried sharp weapons including machetes, samurais, sickles and golf clubs to damage and destroy the cafe. However, law enforcement officers managed to stop them.
Chair of the Association of Entertainment Clubs, Adrian Mailite, criticized the actions of the Prophet Defender Council saying that only police officers are authorized to conduct raids. "If there are violations by entertainment vebues, it is the duty of the government not mass organizations,” he said.
According to Adrian, the police are posting security personnel at entertainment venues. "Due to limited personnel, the police conducts patrols," he said.
Jakarta Police spokesman Senior Commissioner Rikwanto, said the police would take firm action against any raids conducted by the religious hardline groups. "Do not take the law into your own hands because it's against the law," said Rikwanto. ADITYA BUDIMAN