TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Islamic Defenders Front (FPI) leader Rizieq Shihab disputed the report released by the Indonesian Embassy (KBRI) in Saudi Arabia after he was questioned by Saudi authorities several days ago.
“I remind the KBRI in Riyadh to not overdramatize the chronology or statements (regarding the police questioning),” said Rizieq Shihab on a Youtube live broadcast, Friday, Nov. 9.
The KBRI Riyadh previously announced Rizieq’s arrest through a written statement. The announcement suggested that the FPI leader’s house in Mecca was visited by Saudi police upon suspicion of Rizieq Shihab brandishing a black flag at the back of his house, which Saudi authorities deemed symbolizes Islamic extremist groups.
However, Rizieq Shihab questioned several elements contained in the Indonesian Embassy’s version of the incident. He claimed that he was not arrested but merely asked to stay overnight since police investigation lasted through the night.
Rizieq said that the investigation continued in the following morning with a couple of questions, which he claims Saudi police concluded that he was merely a victim in the case. He also had an issue with the KBRI’s announcement suggesting that Rizieq was released on bail.
“Many pieces of information issued by the KBRI do not corroborate with the reality,” said the FPI leader.
The Indonesian Ambassador for Saudi Arabia Agus Maftuh Abegebriel previously said that the embassy continues to communicate with Saudi authorities to find the truth behind Rizieq Shihab’s case and what he is being suspected of.
Agus stated that it is worrying if what Rizieq Shihab is accused of is linked to Rizieq poses a threat to the Saudi Arabian monarchy.
BUDIARTI UTAMI PUTRI | SYAFIUL HADI