TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - The National Disaster Mitigation Agency (BNPB) reported the death toll from earthquake and tsunami in Central Sulawesi reached 1,407 people as of today, October 3, at 1 p.m.
“The toll number is from Palu city, Donggala, Sigi, Parigi Moutong,” said BNPB spokesperson Sutopo Purwo Nugroho in his office, Wednesday, October 3.
Sutopo said as many as 519 of the total figure had been buried, 2,549 people severely injured and 113 people went missing, while the evacuees reached 70,821 people in 141 posts. “We expect the number will keep rising considering the SAR team still search for victims,” he added.
He further disclosed the death toll in Palu alone reached 1,177 people, in Donggala 153 people, Sigi 65 people, and Parigi Moutong 12 people. The highest figure was in Palu as the joint SAR team centered in the city since the beginning of emergency responses.
“With more personnel, heavy tools, and vehicles, the teams are now moving to Donggala region, Parigi Moutong, and Sigi,” he said.
Aside from that, Sutopo said the communication network and electricity supply in the quake and tsunami-hit regions in Central Sulawesi started to be available, despite only in limited coverage.
The 7.4-magnitude earthquake rocked Palu and Donggala on Friday, September 28, at 17:2 local time. The devastating quake triggered the tsunami in the region. The government is still evacuating victims and strived to open the road access to distribute aid and supplies.
RYAN DWIKY ANGGRIAWAN