TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Police suspect that the explosion of bombs in Sidoarjo, precisely in Wonocolo flats, was accidental.
“Allegedly the bomb would be used to hit another target, but it exploded prematurely,” said Brig. Gen., Public Relations Division Public Information Bureau Chief, Mohamad Iqbal, on Monday morning, May 14.
Previously, several explosions occurred in a room in Block B on Sunday night, May 13, at around 20:30 pm. Iqbal said when checking the location, police found the explosion was sourced from the homemade bomb in the room.
He said there were five victims of the explosion that was a family. Three of the victims were Anton, his wife and one of his children was killed on the spot due to the explosion. The other two wounded children were taken to the house.
However, when the police entered the room it turned out that Anton was in a state of dying, still holding the trigger of the homemade bomb. Because it was considered dangerous, police then shot him.
“His hands are still in motion, so we paralyzed it,” he said. Iqbal said after examining the identity of Anton, the police suspected he is a friend of the suicide bomber who attacked three churches in Surabaya on the morning before.
The bomb explosion in a flat in Wonocolo occurred on the same day as a suicide bombing of three churches in Surabaya. As a result of the suicide bombing, 13 people died, six of them were the bombers.
M ROSSENO AJI