Third Wave of Executions to Be Realized Soon: AGO

  • Font:
  • Ukuran Font: - +
  • Attorney General, HM Prasetyo. TEMPO/Subekti

    Attorney General, HM Prasetyo. TEMPO/Subekti

    TEMPO.CO, Jakarta - Attorney General Muhammad Prasetyo said that a number of drug convicts would face the third wave of executions soon. While the number of death row convicts increased, Prasetyo claimed that the executions were hampered by weather conditions.

    "It's difficult [to conduct executions] during the rainy season. We'll see about that. I've never said that the executions will be canceled. It's just a matter of time," Prasetyo said on Friday, March 18, 2016, without revealing names of convicts on death row.

    Prasetyo also dismissed a rumor saying that the Attorney General Office (AGO) had been pressured by foreign countries to postpone the executions.

    "There's no such thing. This is our law enforcement. We will enforce our law in our own country, and Indonesian law still applies death sentence," Prasetyo explained.

    Therefore, the AGO would stick to the execution schedule, although a human rights organization Imparsial was in communication with Prasetyo asking the AGO to postpone this year’s execution.

    Earlier, the AGO announced its target to execute 14 convicts in 2016 during the budget plan discussion with House of Representatives’ Commission III. In 2015, the AGO conducted two waves of executions: the first one on January 18, 2015 and the second one in April 29, 2015.

    BISNIS.COM